Shirebrook Colliery: 25th anniversary of closure.
Shirebrook Colliery was the penultimate colliery to close in the North Derbyshire Coalfield when it finished production twenty-five years ago on 7th May 1993. It closed in the period of what is known as the Coal-Crisis (October 1992 to March 1994). It was perhaps the most modern of the collieries in the former NCB North Derbyshire Area.
Sinking of the twin shafts took place in 1895-96 by the Shirebrook Colliery Company. Arnold Lupton, a prominent Mining Engineer and later an MP, was influential in the development of the colliery. He was later involved in the development of the ‘German Pit’ at Harworth on the Nottinghamshire / South Yorkshire borders.
At nationalisation Shirebrook Colliery went into the NCB East Midlands No. 3 Area and in the 1967 reorganisation into the NCB North Derbyshire Area. In 1986 it became part of British Coal’s Central Group. Nearby Pleasley Colliery, now a mining museum, merged with Shirebrook in 1983. Shirebrook was the scene of much intense picketing during the 1984-85 Miners Strike. Output of over one-million tons of coal was achieved on seventeen different occasions.
Photos below shows 330’s coalface at Shirebrook in 1990 (Photo – Mike Conibear) and below Shirebrook miners knocking off at the end of the shift in the early 1990’s (Photo – Roger Grayson – Chad). For more information on the colliery see Images of Coalmining in the East Midlands, Bradwell Books, (2017).