Remembering Bestwood Colliery – 50 years on

Remembering Bestwood Colliery – 50 years on To commemorate the closure of Bestwood Colliery 50 years ago a special free event is taking place at the preserved Bestwood Winding Engine House on Saturday, 1st July 2017 (10.30 am – 3pm).  The programme for the...

The Northern Union Mining Company 1913-1917

  The Northern Union Mining Company (1913—1917) The Anglo-German Northern Union Mining Company (NUMC) was registered in early August 1913.  Its purpose was to sink and develop a new colliery at Harworth, including the development of a miners’ village at...

Harworth Colliery – End of an Era

On Sunday 10th April 2017 a crowd of onlookers gathered outside the last remains of Harworth Colliery, in preparation for the demolition of Harworth No.1 Headstock. The headstock was referred to locally as Harworth Castle! The ultra modern headgear was not old, it had...

Harworth Colliery WWI Project

Project Title: Controversies in Coal: Internment, Impoundment and Intrigue at Harworth Colliery (1913-1924) About the Project: The controversial development and demise of a German colliery on the Nottinghamshire and South Yorkshire border circa 1913 / 1914 and the...